You want to push the scientific frontiers in pdf accessibility with a huge potential impact in barrier-free science for all?
PhD position: using Deep Learning to make scientific PDFs accessible 80 %
School of Engineering
January 2022 or as soon as possible
You are going to support our ICT-Accessibility Lab in a Swiss national project (funded by Bridge Discovery) in the area of document accessibility (accessibility of scientific pdfs) for visually impaired people.
Your areas of responsibility will include:
- Research of deep learning algorithms for structure analysis and content classification in pdf documents
- Research of deep learning algorithms for math. formula recognition
- Conceptualization and implementation of a whole pipeline to make scientific pdfs accessible
- Carrying out usability tests with visually impaired users
- You hold a master's degree in Computer Science, specifically in the area of AI/Deep Learning
- You enjoy staying ahead of technology and continually strive to improve your skills
- You are willing to pursue a PhD in the area of human-computer interaction, specifically accessibility. This means that you are willing to tackle barriers that visually impaired people face by providing innovative technological solutions.
- You are fluent in spoken and written English as well as some German and are interested in scientific work. This includes proposing novel ideas, scientific analyses and evaluations, writing reports, and presenting your results.
This is what we stand for
Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW is one of Switzerland's largest multidisciplinary universities of applied sciences, with over 14,000 students and 3,400 faculty and staff.
As one of the leading Engineering Faculties in Switzerland, the ZHAW School of Engineering emphasises topics which will be relevant in the future. Our 14 institutes and centres guarantee superior-quality education, research and development with focus on the areas of energy, mobility, information and health.
For the Institute of Applied Information Technology (InIT) of the ZHAW School of Engineering in Winterthur, we are looking for a highly motivated candidate that will join the Human-Information Interaction research group.
The InIT institute of applied information technology is one of the largest institutes at ZHAW with a strong reputation in Computer Science and Data Science not only in Switzerland but also international.
Our institute is distinguished by its committed team, a pleasant working atmosphere, and an exciting and innovative specialization area. Your workplace is located in the centre of the city of Winterthur, and as part of a team of about 10 colleagues, will offer you a diverse and lively work environment.
What you can expect
We offer working conditions and terms of employment commensurate with higher education institutions and actively promote personal development for staff in leadership and non-leadership positions. A detailed description of advantages and benefits can be found at Working at the ZHAW. The main points are listed below:
Prof. Dr. Alireza Darvishy
+41 58 934 69 12