Embedded systems and Electrical Engineer
The Center for Project-based Learning (PBL) is a new center at Deptartment of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
The new center will develop new courses and projects for Bachelor’s and Master’s students to build on teaching activities in which students learn by actively engaging in real-world and personally meaningful projects. PBL is looking for talented and motivated professionals to design, develop, and deliver teaching and project-based activities.
Starting from February 2021, or at a later date to be agreed upon, we are looking for a talented smart sensors and embedded systems specialist to join our interdisciplinary team based at D-ITET. Depending on your background, you can be hired as a senior embedded systems engineer.
Your responsibilities will be to:
- Develop new teaching courses and project-based projects to attract Bachelor and Master students.
- Contribute to the development of the center as a hardware/embedded systems specialist, working alongside several other students/researchers.
- Develop prototypes and integrate and test functionalities, use cases, and user feedback.
- Participate in and contribute to team meetings and other interactions with key stakeholders.
- Involve and interact with companies and other professors at ETH in the projects and the center's activities.
- Collaborate and support students' projects leading the hardware/embedded systems development team of the center, using an agile approach, setting up and delegating development tasks to others (i.e. other PhD students and teaching assistants).
For these responsibilities, you should:
- Have a Master's degree and significant experience, in a relevant field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering), a PhD degree is a plus.
- Be capable of developing systems and smart sensors systems at a hardware level, from components selection to PCB design and hardware debug.
- Excellent skills with electrical engineering, lab equipment and performance evaluation.
- Significant experience and technical skills in firmware development for embedded systems.
- Familiarity with capturing data from a variety of sensors and sending signals through Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/LoRA interfaces.
- Strong experience with C/C++/C#. VHDL/Verilog is a plus.
- Experience with Machine Learning applications with new modules and/or using Training tools, especially for resource-constrained devices.
- Experience in more than one application field, i.e. networking, controls, signal processing, etc.
- Preferred skills will be in the implementation of FPGA, FPGA+Microcontrollers, and parallel processors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are also required.
- Adaptability and flexibility to the continuous changes associated with research demands.
- Have self-motivation, learn independently, and not be afraid to develop and test novel ideas.
- Previous experience with teaching and supporting students' projects.
We are looking for a person who will interact broadly, both within the laboratories and with other research groups, and faculty members in the department who share a spirit of interaction and collaboration.
To further highlight your suitability, you should demonstrate that you:
- Have been part of collaborations between people from various (scientific) backgrounds (i.e. professor, post-doc, PhDs, industry partners, etc.).
- Can present your work and ideas engagingly and effectively.
- Are a team player that can motivate others.
- Have interest in the development and planning of industrial collaborations.
- Have experience in academic writing or academic environment.
\nETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in
science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education,
cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge
into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our
university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an
environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe,
yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to
develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Motivation letter explaining why you are the best candidate
- A list of 1-2 possible activities/projects you will propose to the students or ideas to develop project-based learning activities
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. Michele Magno (no applications).