Thoratec Switzerland GmbH is part of Abbott Laboratories, one of the world’s leading companies in medical devices and healthcare. We are the global market leader for implantable and extracorporeal blood pump systems based on magnetic bearings. Our lifesaving medical devices, which are developed and produced on-site in Zurich, are used for the short- and long-term treatment of patients suffering from severe heart disease.
Our Zurich site employs approximately 100 people, covering areas including R&D and manufacturing. Currently, we are expanding our innovative and high-caliber R&D team in Zurich and an exciting opportunity exists for a motivated and talented:
Electrical Engineer R&D
In this role, you will be working as part of a team responsible for the planning and execution of electrical engineering activities during product development, from conceptualization to pilot production. The tasks range from prototyping, requirements engineering, test plan creation and execution, and supporting project planning and tracking activities. Your contributions are key to our team in delivering leading medical devices that save lives across the globe, and you will be interfacing and collaborating with teams in Switzerland and the USA.
- Define and guide creation of electrical requirements, specifications, and designs to optimize the system performance and ensure compliance to applicable standards.
- Support the analysis for safety, efficacy, usability, and system security of medical devices using bench and field testing from an Electrical Engineering point of view.
- Collaborate in the technical support activities of design/drafting, field testing, lab testing, protocol preparation, test analysis, and documentation to support design history file generation, as well as regulatory and patent submissions (including US FDA and EU MDR).
- Interface with the interdisciplinary product development team consisting of individuals from various departments and outside vendors in the concept, design, and testing of products.
- Support in the planning of project schedules including budget planning and implementing control of activities according to schedule.
- Apply sound, systematic problem-solving methodologies in identifying, prioritizing, communicating, and resolving issues originating from internal failures or customer complaints.
- Ensure effective lines of communication and feedback with internal and external stakeholders to ensure prompt attention and resolution of conditions that adversely affect quality or reliability.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- 0-5 years of relevant experience in the design and development of mechatronic devices, preferably in the medical device business.
- Proficiency in Altium or similar electronic design automation software.
- Technically savvy, innovative, and collaborative mindset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English and German).
- Knowledge of project management processes.
- Willingness to travel on occasion for training purposes and for undertaking research and evaluation activities.
Do you like the sound of this job and think you’ve got what it takes? Then send us your CV today. We look forward to receiving your application as pdf