To start on February 1st 2021 as permanent assignment, we are looking for an experienced small molecule crystallographer, with international experience, knowledge on X-ray devices and synchrotron facilities with a passion for promoting a new analytical device (electron diffractometer) in the fields of science and industry.
About ELDICO Scientific
ELDICO Scientific AG is a Swiss deep-tech company in the field of nanoanalytical instrumentation and was founded in 2019. We develop, produce and distribute electron diffractometers — novel instruments enabling the structural analysis of nanocrystalline solids, such as for the pharmaceutical industry. The company pursues ambitious development and growth targets in a science-oriented global business environment. Specific instruments are not yet available on the market today. ELDICO will be launching the first instrument specifically designed for nano-crystallographic investigations. The proof of concept was achieved in 2018 on scientifically and industrially relevant samples. It was published in 2018 and awarded as a Top 5 "Breakthrough of the Year 2018" by leading scientific journal SCIENCE. In 2020, ELDICO took second place in the competition for the prestigious pioneer prize awarded by Technopark Zurich and the Zürcher Kantonalbank (ZKB). ELDICO will be running an analytical center and ED application platform where an electron diffractometer will be operated for users from academia and industry on a full-time basis to deliver structural data to the platform users.
Job description: Application Scientist, m/f/d
Work load: Full-time, 100%
Location: Zurich / Villigen / Basel, willingness to travel, estimated at 20-30%
Term of contract: Permanent assignment
Line manager: Chief Scientific Officer (CSO)
YOUR role & responsibilities
In this role, an experienced crystallographer with a Ph.D. degree in Natural sciences is needed. As an application scientist, you will be responsible for delivering electron diffraction data sets to researchers and industry. You will be coordinating sample delivery, measuring slots, sample preparation, sample measurements, data set acquisition, data interpretation and data transfer to customers and interested prospects. Furthermore, you will learn how an electron diffractometer is constructed, and you will participate in the installation and be responsible (together with the CSO) that our product performs well within specifications at the customers’ site. For the devices installed you will be giving technical support and training courses. You will be working in-line with the CSO and with support of the ELDICO management. Among other things, you will be responsible for:
- Scientific collaborations in the field of Electron Diffraction
- Producing scientific relevant results and peer reviewed publications in the field of ED.
- Performing ED measurements to confirm hard- and software ability
- Presentations at international scientific conferences and congresses
- Assistance in webinars, seminars and trainings
- Installation and troubleshooting of our products at customer site
- Technical and scientific support of customers
The aim of this position is to build a strong scientific support for our product and to constantly improve the device for our customers.
- Ph. D. degree in natural sciences (Chemistry / Physics / Material Sciences)
- Several years of experience in crystallography
- Practical knowledge on various crystallographic software packages
- Practical knowledge on X-ray diffractometers
- High analytical skills and swift understanding of technological challenges
- Hands-on, solution-oriented and able to create processes in a small company
- Very good spoken and written English
- Good skills in communicating to others
Experience with synchrotron measurements, HPC detectors, XRPD methods as well as additional technical skills would be a plus.
To be successful in this job, you need to be a self-starter, pay attention to detail while keeping the big picture, able to communicate in an open and transparent manner to various groups of persons (customers / scientific partners / scientists). Functional leadership qualities paired with the ability to work in a cross-functional team will make you particularly stand out.
What ELDICO has to offer
- Appealing technological challenge and immediate responsibility and in a highly innovative technological environment
- A high degree of independence in the daily execution of the work
- Support and coaching from experienced colleagues and external technology consultants and individual trainings when necessary
- Attractive remuneration incl. participation in the employee stock option program
- The opportunity to help shape the innovative product portfolio of a well-funded and fast-growing start-up
HOW to apply
Are you eager to help shape one of the most exciting areas of science as part of a promising start-up? Contact Dr. Gustavo Santiso-Quinones (CSO) and/or Dr. Eric Hovestreydt (CEO/Sales Director) with your application. Please send (as pdf file(s)) your CV and cover letter in English (including your availability and desired salary), two letters of recommendation and a list of scientific publications (please highlight those top 5) to applyforAPS@eldico.ch ideally before Dec. 20th 2020.
For more information on ELDICO Scientific on www.eldico-scientific.com