Global Human Health Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
This is an exciting role within one of the leading company priority areas of affordability which is both a differentiator for the company and high-profile exposure on a critical business driver. During your tenure, you will become a key critical contributor as we build and enhance the learning on Affordability. Post COVID this area has become even more important. The role will report to the Associate Vice President, Leader of Affordability Strategy and Solutions.
The Affordability Solutions Director, Global Market Access will be responsible for developing practical solutions to key affordability challenges in key markets, build collaborative solutions with external partners with complementary capability, accelerate implementation and enable scaling of the solutions to key markets within a region and sharing globally.
The role will work with various internal groups to develop methodologies for accelerating the shaping and implementation of affordability solutions, as part of a wider Global Market Access team. The role will also lead in ensuring the patient voice is reflected in the solutions we create & enable. The role will also routinely collaborate with external groups to develop innovative and potentially disruptive solutions.
The role will have a developmental component to it. It is anticipated that about 90% of your time will be focused on affordability solution and about 10% will be on your own personal development. The actual range will be based on your learning and career needs. There will be cross-team mentorship offered.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop, test and implement with local markets affordability solutions (not exhaustive)
- Develop deep understanding of strategic therapeutic priorities and long term access implications
- Accountability for the delivery of tangible practical results – with measurable KPIs across multiple markets
- Act as the key subject matter expert to markets to support targeted solution development
- Deep understanding of affordability solutions – ranging from:
- Targeted financial solutions such as (Insurance/Reinsurance for advanced cancer treatment; Amortization for payers; ETC.);
- Value shaping solutions to address system challenges & inefficiencies;
- Cost shaping solutions to explore mechanism for enabling financial inclusion
- Strong cross functional collaboration to explore novel solution opportunities
- Training and capability building of diverse groups in key markets
- Identify and collaborate with external partners such as banks, insurance companies, reinsurers, non-bank finance institutions, and Fintech solution providers, for the development of innovative affordability solutions
- Validate existing affordability solutions with internal stakeholders (Access, Compliance, Legal, Procurement, Pricing, Policy, Finance, Treasury, IT, Digital Accelerator, Franchises, Marketing, CORE and Medical)
- A high degree of collaborative work is needed to develop an internal global cross-functional team with these groups and the external partners to guide markets in taking ideas from concept to implementation
- Document and develop the ‘3D Affordability Framework’ to support implementation and scaling of solutions in markets
- Facilitate the documentation and the approval of affordability solutions
- Identify best practices and organize their scaling
- Ensure the right fit of the solutions with the local customers’ & business’ priorities and the market archetype
Thought leadership elements
- Contribute to the global strategy on Affordability with peers across the globe
- Work with the large critical markets on the affordability solutions they adopt in addressing their affordability challenges
- Act as the key liaison and Affordability thought leader for your key critical markets
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts or Science
- Master’s degree in business administration or health policy
- 7 years or more experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Knowledge of developing Affordability Solutions and their applicability in market access
- Experience of working in a global role to support delivery in markets
- Knowledge and experience of application of the Affordability ‘3D Framework’ or similar
- Experience of working with Latin American Countries
- Evidence of ongoing professional development in any talent programs
- Preferred experience with exposure to healthcare systems, and/or financial institutions
- Experience in successful collaboration with large commercial entities
- Strong analytical skills and impactful communicator
- Cross functional team leadership experience
- Must work well with broad ranges of management, including regional and brand leaders, regulatory functions, market access functions
- Ability to work with people from different cultures and backgrounds and work within a cross-functional team
- Previous broader experience in pharma
- Fluency in English, additional languages are a strong plus
- Travel: 30% within designated regions in Latin America
- Expert process discipline and results orientation
- Proven ability to delivery sustainable results
- Ability to creatively solve complex issues
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple projects in a fluid environment
- Ability to develop effective trust-based relationships, working closely with cross-functional stakeholders across the business and collaborate with external partners to deliver results
- Bring innovative thinking to a new ‘white space’ setting to develop solutions
- Keen insight to understand the guard rails and bring in Legal/Compliance early on and continuously in the extended design phase through to pilot and implementation
- Ability to support meaningful capability development in diverse teams
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion in all facets of work
Our company has had a presence in Switzerland since 1963. With a regional office and manufacturing/packaging facility, Lucerne is considered the center of operations. Approximately 1,000 people work collaboratively at the four Lucerne locations (Weystrasse, Citybay, Schachen and Kriens). A fifth location has been recently established in Zurich, aimed at accelerating the development and commercialization of many of our company’s medicines and vaccines, which supports our mission to save and improve lives around the world. The new location has a target date of 2021 for operational readiness.
We are proud to be certified as a “Top Employer Switzerland” and “Top Employer Europe” showing the company’s commitment to our employees and the community around us.
The recently opened new location in Zurich focuses on accelerating research, data and commercialization of our medicines and vaccines. The new office will be staffed by teams working in strategic and operational roles in medical affairs, clinical development, access and marketing operations functions.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.