Legal Counsel (m/f)
Legal Counsel (m/f)
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading international insurance organization serving customers in more than 130 countries and jurisdictions. AIG companies serve commercial, institutional, and individual customers through one of the most extensive worldwide property-casualty networks of any insurer. In addition, AIG companies are leading providers of life insurance and retirement services in the United States.
Key objectives: Advise local and head quarter management on strategic legal issues, including general insurance, regulatory, corporate and other areas, and manage the legal function for the operations in Switzerland as required. Be the legal point of contact for all FINMA related matters. Assist the general management, the business, and support areas in achieving their objectives and preserving the legal compliance of the company with local laws and corporate guidelines.
- Act as legal advisor to the general manager, profit centre managers, support areas, and to the European head quarter's legal department on Swiss legal matters. Coordinate on behalf of Switzerland with other country counsels from our European legal team.
- Provide transaction support to country teams in terms of legal, legislative, or litigation risk analysis.
- Advise management on business development, negotiation, structuring and drafting of agreements, review of insurance policy wordings, and amendments.
- Monitor and manage as required regulatory relationships in Switzerland and interact with FINMA
- Responsible for oversight of outside attorney activities in Switzerland. Review billings for appropriate charges and manage legal budget, reducing outside legal spend.
- Manage non-claims litigation as agreed with senior management. Coordinate with outside attorneys as necessary to define, implement, and monitor the litigation strategy and the strength of legal positions.
- Advise AIG's human resources department on legal aspects of employment issues, including employment litigation.
- Coordinate with compliance function, including liaising on code of conduct, economic sanctions, privacy, fraud and other areas of the controls framework implementation of corporate policies and procedures.
- Provide legal support to other areas of the company as needed, including F&A, tax, claims, and other areas such as real estate, suppliers, service providers, data privacy, etc.
- Monitor and implement appropriate corporate governance procedures. Ensure that local legal requirements are complied with. Assist country operations with implementation of corporate changes.
- Lawyer with several years of international legal experience, preferably in European, and particularly Swiss insurance law.
- Knowledge of Swiss insurance and regulatory law as well as insurance market knowledge is mandatory.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and German is essential. Another European language and in particular French is an advantage.
- Ability to develop relationships, interface, and negotiate with a variety of outside contacts. Critical abilities include judgment, creativity, flexibility, and initiative to analyse and guide corporate projects from a legal viewpoint.
- Feel comfortable and be flexible in a dynamic business environment and change management situations.
- Pragmatic, business oriented, ability to find solutions in complex situations, concern for detail and follow-up
- Strong, proven project management abilities
- Strong communication skills, with a clear and efficient communication style: ability to condense legal opinions and issues to facilitate explanation and understanding for business people is essential.
- Team player, good people skills, strong, disciplined, pro-active, self-starter, energetic, focused, hard-working
Interested applicants, please send your email application to Bewerbungen@aig.com.
AIG Europe Limited, London
Sägereistrasse 29, Postfach
CH-8152 Glattbrugg Switzerland
AIG Europe Limited