SCOR is the 5th largest Reinsurance Company worldwide, following a profit-driven underwriting policy and practising selectively across all branches of reinsurance. Our specialist teams operate in over 120 countries, developing value added and innovative products and services and making long-term commitments to their clients, namely insurers and large corporations.
SCOR's aim, as an independent global reinsurance company, is to develop its Life and P&C business lines, to provide its clients with a broad range of innovative reinsurance solutions and to pursue an underwriting policy founded on profitability, supported by effective risk management and a prudent investment policy, in order to offer its clients an optimum level of security, to create value for its shareholders, and to contribute to the welfare and resilience of Society by helping to protect insureds against the risks they face.
Reporting to the CUO Engineering, the role-holder will have profit & loss responsibility for the assigned markets. He/she will have to coordinate and drive the underwriting activities which include managing client relationship and LOB portfolio, defining strategy as well as respective planning and accuracy of plan implementation in teamwork with regional market units and support functions. Being a team player is key. Performs in-depth technical analysis of treaty business and assumes underwriting decision taking into account the inputs received from Market Responsible, Actuaries, Nat Cat, Technical accounting, Claims and Legal. Coordinates and cooperates in a pro-active and open way with the team colleagues.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Coordinator and driver of the underwriting activities related to his/her assigned area; manages client relationship and LOB portfolio for assigned markets in teamwork with regional market unit and support functions.
- Visits and meets with clients and brokers frequently to establish SCOR, to carry SCOR's vision and mission to the marketplace, to collect and analyse all the information needed for a proper underwriting process.
- Is responsible to fully document the outcome of the visit and to address/follow- up any related issue.
- Is responsible for the overall client relationship and the P&L results related to his/her assigned areas.
- Identifies and analyses existing and potential target clients, their strategy, finance and needs.
- Is responsible for the strategy, client tactic as well as respective planning and accuracy of plan implementation in his area of competence.
- Is accountable for an efficient administration of his assigned portfolio as well as for planning/putting into action pre-underwriting and underwriting operations.
- Engages in in-depth technical analyses of treaty business and assumes underwriting decision taking into account the inputs received from market responsibles, Actuaries, Nat Cat, Technical Accounting, Claims and Legal.
- Takes initiative to monitor marketplace/market developments and explores trends and cycles in the reinsurance market and coordinates these findings with the respective departments.
- Supports key treaty clients as well on facultative basis (Cedent Facultative Service).
- Contributes to the annual (pre-) planning process and presentations as well as workshops.
Required experience & competencies
- Several years of reinsurance / insurance marketing / underwriting experience.
- Reinsurance / insurance technical knowledge.
- Experience in engineering in an industrial environment.
- Has at least one core competency (LOB,Actuarial,Legal,Finance) within the reinsurance / insurance area.
- Combines commercial and technical skills to entrepreneurial spirit.
- Has the overview and is capable to operate trade-offs that maximize client satisfaction and SCOR results.
- Has decision making skills.
- Is well structured, with analytical and synthesis skills.
- Effective negotiator and communicator.
- Social competency; feedback oriented.
- Consistent and highly reliable.
- Delegates effectively.
- Is capable to motivate people and to encourage knowledge sharing, participation.
- Problem solving skills.
- Energetic/Effective: moves things forward with initiative and ownership.
- Keep calm in stressful situations.
- Ability to give constructive feedback.
- Shows ownership in his duties and working areas and takes appropriate responsibility.
- Is willing to learn and to develop him/herself.
- Experienced with tools of our industry
- University or similar education; preferably civil Engineering background.
- Insurance/ Reinsurance qualifications desirable.