Casualty Underwriting Officer 80-100%
Your Role The senior leader in the CI Underwriting team directs the Casualty Lines of Business to improve underwriting performance. Provides underwriting leadership; directs the implementation of The Zurich Way of Underwriting throughout their respective LoB; leads underwriting operational transformation and supports a sound governance framework. Contributes to the development of strategic LoB underwriting goals, cycle management strategy and underwriting policy for the assigned LoB. Defines Key Performance Indicators and provides oversight for their respective LoB portfolio, addresses emerging issues and identifies opportunities working with local / regional teams. Drives LoB product management. Effectively partners with local Underwriting Business Units to ensure execution of underwriting strategy and delivers a compelling vision for the direction of the LoBs within Casualty. As a Casualty Underwriting Officer your key accountabilities will involve:
- Ensures consistent risk appetite through guideline ownership across the assigned LoB which drives portfolio management and improves underwriting performance
- Describes, encourages and enforces a rigorous underwriting process, risk selection and procedure monitoring system
- Provides underwriting insight for underwriting tool development. Drives need and requirements for underwriter tools and analytics
- Develops, promotes and maintains strategic partnerships both internally and externally
- Establishes and monitors Underwriting Key Performance Indicators
- Addresses emerging issues and identifies opportunities for growth or change within their LoB
- Establishes exposure identification, risk assessment, risk response, control activities and monitoring of the LoB for which position is accountable. Identify data elements needed for profitable growth
- Monitors framework for underwriting decisions e.g. authority grants, referrals, technical underwriting reviews
- Manages volatility through reinsurance placement and aggregation management
- Performs deep dives and profitability reviews
- Authorises delegation to expert underwriters
- Oversees design and implementation of rating and pricing tools and methodologies, supported by actuarial team
- Supports the LoB underwriting strategy for product development in close collaboration with Proposition Development. Contributes to wider strategy through partnership with respective Global Line of Business management, where applicable
- Drives standardization and simplification of product, process and tools across the LoB wherever feasible
- Identifies LoB Technical training and develops relational LoB training framework
- Risk appetite
- Supports in the promotion of underwriting expertise in the external insurance market to maintain the organization's position and influence
As a Casualty Underwriting Officer your business accountabilities will involve:
- Identifying opportunities and risks associated with changes in direction of external environment, looking forward 5+ years
- Producing results and achieve profits, either directly or by providing support by developing, implementing and monitoring business/ operational plans
- Determining which emerging issues (internal and external) are relevant to current and future needs and ensure strategies, programs, processes incorporate these
- Ensuring that appropriate documentation, implementation and communication of established policy, procedures and operating standards is completed for area of responsibility
- Regularly monitoring and evaluating activities to identify potential risks and issues of non-compliance
- Participating or may lead risk assessment for their area of responsibility and escalates potential issues to CI CUO
Primary work location is Zurich, Switzerland. The travel requirement is approximately 20-50%.
If you value an exciting and varied working environment and meet the above requirements, then our recruiter Patrick Weymann is looking forward to receiving your application by clicking on the button "Apply online"
You can find additional information about Zurich as an employer and about the candidate journey on our career site .
Zurich Virtual Tour
Enter the fascinating World of Zurich! Learn more about our company and meet some of our employees personally in the Zurich Virtual Tour .
Who we are
Zurich is a strong brand - more than 1.4 million Swiss customers place their trust in our products and services. Our 53,000 employees worldwide form the basis of our success, helping our customers in 210 countries and territories to understand and protect themselves from risk. In order to deliver our services, we offer our employees flexible working models and interesting opportunities for further training & development. As a Zurich employee you benefit from a multitude of advantages as well as a strong culture, characterized by acceptance, diversity and team spirit.
At Zurich we are an equal opportunity employer. We attract and retain the best qualified individuals available, without regard to race/ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability.
Information for recruitment agencies
Zurich accepts no unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies for this position. We therefore request that recruitment agencies do not submit any candidate documents neither via our employees nor through our online career portal.
We refuse any responsibility for unsolicited applications as well as any associated fees. Thank you for your understanding.