The Lucerne School of Engineering and Architecture is the leading educational and research institution in its field in Central Switzerland. The School offers practical bachelor's and master's degree programs and a variety of continuing and executive education programs, and also carries out applied research and development. It is one of six Schools making up the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts with its 1,600-plus staff and around 10,800 degree and continuing education students.
Our Competence Centre Thermal Energy Storage (CC TES) focuses on energy storage technologies on a material and component level as well as on energy system analysis and optimisation. We are involved in the national research network "Swiss Competence Center for Energy Research (SCCER) Storage of Heat and Electricity".
We are looking for a highly motivated and ambitious PhD candidate with strong modelling and programming skills to investigate – both numerically and experimentally – seasonal energy storage systems using water in combination with phase-change materials (PCM). The goal is to develop future thermal energy storage technologies with a large impact on the domestic heating sector. The PhD candidate will join our CC TES team at the Institute of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Technology, starting on 01.01.2018 or upon agreement.
Research Associate (PhD Student): Phase Change Dispersion (100%)
- Advancement of the topic "Phase Change Dispersions"
- Define a series of new Phase Change Dispersions (@ Lucerne University of Applied Sciences & Arts)
- Measurements of thermophysical and rheological properties using analytical methods and analysis/interpretation of results (@ INSA Lyon)
- Writing scientific articles for peer-review publication and participation in academic conferences
- Co-supervising bachelor and master theses
- Master's degree or Diploma in in chemical/process engineering, mechanical engineering, materials engineering/science, physics or other relevant subject.
- Enthusiastic about energy topics and passionate about science and engineering
- Strong background in heat and mass
- Excellent English skills, both written and spoken, good German and French skills desired
- Project management, presentation skills, quick familiarisation with new topics
- Rigour and attention to detail
- An enthusiastic and hands on approach
- Creative, results-oriented, team-minded, communicative and eager for knowledge
We offer an exciting position (approx. three years) in a stimulating and highly innovative interdisciplinary research environment. You will be part of a motivated, international, and open-minded team and will have access to modern laboratory infrastructure and a large network of national and international research and industry partners. You will have the opportunity to significantly enhance and broaden your technical knowledge, gain valuable experience and contribute with your own ideas and expertise to the development and technological advancement of novel thermal energy storage systems.
Your place of work will be in the attractive locations of Horw/Lucerne (University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Switzerland) and Lyon (INSA, France). The position will be a collaborative position between these two institutes.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Ludger Fischer, +41 41 349 35 33 or visit www.hslu.ch/tes.
The application period Ends on 28th January 2018.
We look forward to your online application.