About Swiss Re
This is your opportunity to join Swiss Re Group - one of the world's leading wholesale providers of reinsurance, insurance and other innovative forms of insurance-based risk transfer. Our business at Swiss Re is about understanding and analysing the major risks that concern the world - from natural catastrophes to climate change, from ageing populations to cybercrime. We combine experience with expertise and innovative thinking to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. And we enable the risk-taking essential to enterprise and progress. This is only possible with around 10,000 truly exceptional Swiss Re people across our group worldwide.
Expert Application Engineer - Deputy Team Lead
About the role
As our new Expert Application Engineer you will be working as Deputy Team Lead Application Engineering in our Life & Health Closing team in Finance IT - the central IT partner for the finance and actuarial reserving departments.
Your team is responsible for the successful execution of the quarterly closing processes, implementation of change requests and enhancements for Projects and Rollouts of the global Life & Health sub-ledger platform / closing components. Your work as expert application engineer will span all phases from technical design, development and testing up to maintenance and support for the associated systems. The applications are built from web-based as well as mainframe-hosted components with focus on large relational databases and integration into a complex system landscape.
Together with the team lead, you will be responsible for the architectural aspects of the Life & Health closing tools and decide on implementation details with your engineering colleagues. You will ensure that recent technologies are applied in the software development process and deliverables are in accordance with standards and validation procedures.
As deputy team lead you will be involved in planning and monitoring of tasks for other team members. Midterm your perspective is to step up to the engineering team lead role and take over full responsibility for all engineering related matters. This role will include people and technical leadership.
About the team
You will be working in an international team of business analysts and application engineers located in Switzerland (Zurich), Slovakia (Bratislava) and US (Armonk/NY). Beside your direct team colleagues, you will also be in close cooperation with many other Finance IT teams and supporting units in IT operations and infrastructure. Your customers in Finance and Actuarial Departments are located in various places around the world (Europe, Asia, Africa and Americas) and rely on a stable environment with high quality services.
- University degree in computer science (or similar field) or an equivalent IT qualification along with professional experience for more than 6 years
- Experience in people leadership
- Involvement in technical and architectural leadership
- Solid experience in all application tiers - user interface, client / server applications, backend processing and databases for large-scale business applications
- Ideally main background in JAVA, J2EE, web frameworks (preferably ANGULAR JS) , and SQL (preferably DB2). Experience or strong openness to work with mainframe-based batch programming, including maintenance of a large existing legacy code base in COBOL.
- Familiarity with agile methodologies and tools
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience in people and technical leadership
- Good communication skills with a very customer-oriented and flexible mindset
- Familiarity or openness to work with virtual and offshore teams in a variety of cultures
- Good command of English (and preferably German)
- Experience or keen interest in finance and (re-)insurance applications. Knowledge of L&H systems, processes and products is a plus
Please apply with your complete documentation: CV, cover letter, reference letters and diplomas.
Take a risk worth taking. Register and apply at
Reference code: 18801